This is some high grade content.
Click our Like button to check it out:
MIXMAG MIX OF THE WEEK
BRODINSKI & LOUISAHHH!!!
This month, Mixmag turns 30 years old. To celebrate, we've invited four of our favourite artists to take control of our Mix Of The Week series. Handpicked by the Mixmag office, these selections will see in our birthday in fine style. First up, Brodinski & Louisahhh!!! with an introduction from our Digital Content Editor/Electro Editor Jeremy Abbott
I first heard a Brodinski mix six years ago, when I was 15, and my passion for the music that he makes and plays out has stuck ever since. You could say it was love at first listen.
Soon after that mix, he released the 'Bad Runner' EP, which put him at the forefront of the French electro revolution and a firm favourite to lead on from what legendary Parisian label Ed Banger had started. This was confirmed in 2011 when the first record on Bromance, his label, came out.
The imprint is home to the likes of Monsieur Monsieur, Club Cheval, Gesaffelstein and Louisahhh!!!, with whom he's put together a very special mix to celebrate Mixmag's 30th birthday.
It comes at just the right time, too, as leading Bromance talents Gesaffelstein, Club Cheval and Brodinski have all been signed to EMI. They'll all be releasing their debut albums via the label (which also counts Daft Punk, M83 and Phoenix on its roster), meaning their reputations as some of the most exciting talents in dance music is about to explode. In fact, it feels like a new French revolution is occurring. The country is also home to other rising labels such as ClekClekBoom, Marble, Sound Pellegrino and Party Fine, which are all currently on fine form.
One of my club highlights of 2012 was their label party at KOKO in London, which ended in a back-to-back set between Brodinski and Gesaffelstein during which Missy Elliott, Michael Jackson and Danny Brown were all dropped to rabid reception from a 1500-capacity crowd. It all culminated in the Bromance crew taking a group bow before Gesaffelstein's remix of Danny Brown's 'Black Brad Pitt' had everyone, including the DJs, going apeshit.
But this isn't all about Brodinski. This birthday mix is also the work of Louisahhh!!!, real name Louisa Pillot. She performed vocals for Brodinski on 'Let The Beat Control Your Body' and 'Nobody Rules The Streets' and has released her own two-track EP on the label entitled 'Transcend'. Her vocal barbs have got her noticed and now she is a fully fledged member of the Bromance family.
For our 30th birthday, they've combined to create a dark, cerebral mix that highlights just why they, and the Bromance gang, are firm office favourites. With Brodinski's achievements and Lousiahhh!!!'s bright future, this is a selection that we're really proud of.
Gesaffelstein and Louisahhh!!! play at XOYO this Saturday and you can get tickets here
DOWNLOAD (RIGHT CLICK & SAVE)
1. Strip Steve - Money Trouble Funk (Bambounou Rmx) / BNR
2. Renaissance Man - UFO (Who R U_) / Black Ocean
3. Jai Paul - Crush (Adam Port Edit) / CDr
4. Turbo Turbo - Your Mind / GND
5. Matrixxman Feat. Mykki Blanco - God Created The Beat (Groove Mix) / Grizzly
6. Trikk - Basement Traxx (Lando Kal Rmx) / Hypercolour
7. Justin Jay - Altitude / Dirtybird
8. Jesse Perez - Interracial Booty Calls (Jimmy Edgar Rmx) / Jackaton
9. Jensen Interceptor & CSMNT61 - Parallax Error / Motorik
10. Marc Romboy & Ken Ishii - Helium (Skudge Rmx) / Systematic
11. Johannes Heil - Lifesigns Pt. 2 / Figure
12. Ben Sims - Air Rage / Drumcode
13. Maelstrom - Hunger / Zone
14. Radionasty - I Had To Spank You / Tortured
15. Unknown Artist - Trick / Expect No Less
16. The Town - Dice / ClekClekBoom
17. Slowglide - Gethsemane / CDr
18. INC. - Careful (Deebs Edit) / CDr